Monday, February 27, 2012

Opinions

Hey yall!

How's your week been? My week has been pretty good!

Monday we had a nice slow relaxing day of not actually doing anything. It was great! I needed it really badly. I took a 2 hour nap :) After P-day was done we had a lesson with Jesslyn again and she brought her 2 friends along so we taught them too! There first lesson was the Law of Chastity... Never taught someone the Law of Chastity as a first lesson, but they loved it and we are still teaching them and they are thinking about being baptized! :) I get so excited for others when they make decisions like that because I know how much they will be blessed for it!

Tuesday we got called into a surprise special training with our Zone. We had to call in over the phone. It's different having to call in and not be able to see anybody. I do miss seeing all the other missionaries. I don't know many of the missionaries in our mission anymore. While I was in Whitehorse and since I have been out here most of the missionaries I have known have finished their missions and have gone home. It's crazy how close you get to people that you barely meet and get to know for just a little bit. I know it's because of what we have been called to do and that we are serving the Lord. We taught Jesslyn, Casey, and Melony again Tuesday night with Tyler and they loved it and Melony and Casey are really considering baptism! :)

Wednesday we had quite a scare in the morning. We were on our way to the Library to do the usual service and we passed by Edward Jackson's home (recent convert) and there was crime scene tape up and cops everywhere taking pictures around his house and his neighbors. We immediately called some other people to find out what was going on and found out he was ok! We were told that there was a homicide and that it was his neighbor. The person that did it tried to set his house on fire too... Pretty scary. He was shaken up a little, but seems to be okay now and back to normal. Mom I promise i'm not trying to scare you! Don't worry we are safe! :) We went to supper at the Chavez's again and had a very very good meal! :) We had cheesecake for dessert :). We then taught Jesslyn, Casey and Melony with Tyler again! They really enjoy the lessons and are reading the Book of Mormon. They feel the spirit and know that it is good! It's awesome!

Thursday we went to Bingo again! We actually had it this week! :) After we did that we went and knocked a few doors trying to find people that we have run into. We went to supper twice Thursday night! We ate at Bro. Irvine's and he fed us taco soup.... It was sooo good. I almost forgot to leave room for the next meal! We then went to Sister McMillin's and had meatloaf and potatoes and broccoli. She is such a good cook! Haven't had a bad meal there yet! We then with overfilled stomachs played basketball with the neighborhood kids. We taught them before we played about where we came from. They seemed to enjoy the lesson and helped them understand things better. We told them we don't just wanna provide them a place to play basketball, we want to help them find the truth and follow the path that they were meant to walk on this earth. Afterwards I was suckin' wind the whole time!

Friday night we went and watched the boys play 1 of their last regular season games of the year. Both JV and Varsity won! The level of competition is very different from back home in NC. During the game they will sometimes have 2 guys run around and throw shirts into the stands and I got one! The boys really liked us coming and supporting them in their games.

Saturday morning we helped the Stockton's move to their new home. It was the fastest move I have ever been apart of. They were very prepared and had everything ready! It took us all of an hour or 2. Then that afternoon we went and watched the last game of the season and they liked that we were there again. I think they are realizing that we don't just have them come play basketball with us so we can play, but that it is because we actually care what they do and we are trying to be good examples to them and support them in making good decisions. I think I have made a decision in what I wanna do for a profession based off experiences here in Bethel. I'll probably end up following moms footsteps and be a high school teacher and hopefully coach too! That would be fun! We also had Stake Conference Saturday night. That was really good though I was making phone calls the whole time.

Sunday was of course again Stake Conference and Jade and Jesslyn came! The session was awesome! The theme was pioneers. Not only the pioneers who crossed the plains to Salt Lake City, but the pioneers of the church today, the members who are the first members in their families and how much of an impact that can have on generations to come. Correct me if i'm wrong dad, but I believe I am a 6th generation member of the church. Growing up in the church I never had any doubts it was true, but did not have the testimony I have today until I actually read and studied the Book of Mormon and received a witness that it was true. I absolutely loved the talk the Elder Tad R. Callister gave in the last General Conference about the Book of Mormon. (http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/the-book-of-mormon-a-book-from-god?lang=eng&media=video) That's a link to the talk he gave. Watch it please!

Probably the biggest thing I have learned here in Bethel is to never judge a book by it's cover and to always form your own opinion about places or things. Before I came to Bethel, I heard all these stories about it, some good, some bad and talked to many people who didn't have anything nice to say about it. Since being here I have formed my own opinion. Bethel is a great place and I love it. I have grown to love the people and the town. If I were to go back and ask the people that told me how bad Bethel was and asked if they had actually been here, probably 50 – 70% have never been here and have no backing for their comments, just hearsay.


For those of you who have never read the Book of Mormon or investigated The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and it's teachings, I encourage you to do what I have done, to form your own opinion. Read the Book of Mormon with an open heart and mind. Watch that talk, click the link above! I know the Book of Mormon is true and is from God. I have read every page. I wouldn't be 5,000 miles away from my home and family sharing it with others if I didn't know it was true. I love yall and hope you will take the opportunity to read the Book of Mormon and learn of the church. Have a great week! :)

Love,

-Elder Taylor Bowes

No comments:

Post a Comment